![]() |
![]() |
|||||||||
| |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Still Notorious
By Karen Francis
WINDOW ROCK Last week, Navajo Nation President Joe Shirley Jr. said he is pleased with the progress that is being made to get the improvements to U.S. Highway 491 started. The New Mexico portion of the highway, which begins in Gallup and runs through the Navajo reservation, is notorious for high volume traffic and speeding vehicles. Formerly U.S. 666, it is sometimes referred to as The Devils Highway. The improvements cannot come quick enough for residents and people who work at businesses along the highway who have been saying for years that the dangerous road needs to be expanded to a four-lane highway to Shiprock. Its been dangerous, Victoria Livingston, who lives in Mexican Springs, said. By the Twin Lakes Chapter, its expanded and its better. I think they need to extend it to four lanes all the way to Shiprock. The turn off to Mexican Springs is located on a stretch of U.S. 491 where the speed limit is 65 miles per hour and there are only two lanes for north and south bound traffic. Especially when youre turning to Mexican Springs and theres a semi behind you, its scary, she said. Gil Damon from Twin Lakes said he used to work in Farmington and would see numerous accidents on his way to work, including one where he saw a womans head had been decapitated in a collision. I just turned around and went home, he said. Damon said that his daughters best friend, an honor student who had just married, recently died on U.S. 491. That might not have happened if it was four-lane, he said. Nick Denetdale, who lives in Tohatchi, has been waiting for more than 10 years for the improvements to be made. Theres always accidents on this road, he said. People always pass people and they cut it real close. Sometime there are blind curves and they still pass. He said he sees accidents all the time as a result of vehicles passing other automobiles near his house. Maybe if there were four lanes, they wouldnt have to get in each others way, he said. People always drive too fast and they are not careful when passing. Since Ive been small, its always been like that. Some vendors in Tohatchi also said that they have been waiting for 10 to 20 years for the improvements to be made. We see a lot of ambulances. Theyre always running that way, one vendor said pointing north. Shirley Dez, from Naschitti Trading Post, said that she did not foresee upcoming construction activities having any effect on business. On holidays, we get business from the highway and in the summer tourists come around, Dez said. She said that the improvements are very necessary for the community with the high volume of traffic that runs through it. The project to improve the highway had been at a standstill when the state of New Mexico and the Navajo Nation could not agree on how much the nation should contribute. However, on Nov. 2, Navajo Nation Vice President Ben Shelly met with Secretary Rhonda G. Faught to present the Navajo Nations proposal to resolve issues that had held up progress on the road improvements from Shiprock to Yah-Ta-Hey. The Nation proposed contributing $8 million over four years to the project, in addition to $2 million in in-kind services. Faught told the vice president that she was pleased with the proposal. According to Navajo Nation communications director George Hardeen, Faught recently sent a letter to the president and vice president to reiterate the Transportation Departments satisfaction with the proposal. I am very pleased that we have successfully resolved negotiations for this project and look forward to working with you further so that improvements to U.S. 491 can be constructed and the highway made safer for the traveling public, she wrote. Shirley said that he appreciates her correspondence to the Navajo Nation. No one person or entity can do it all by themselves, Shirley said. All of us use this important road, and by working together, Im pleased well see the needed improvements to it. Shelly said that the executive branch has done its
part. Hardeen said that discussions on the terms and conditions are continuing and that the state would have to hire a contractor before schedules are announced. According to the Office of the President, the Navajo Nation Councils Resources Committee was to consider the terms and conditions for approval earlier this week. The agreement must be approved by the proper oversight committees before the $100 million project will be able to begin. |
Weekend Shoppers put the green in Black Friday Still Notorious; Residents, motorists hopeful U.S. 491 improvements are near |
|
|
| Home | Daily News | Archive | Subscribe | All contents property of the Gallup
Independent.
Any duplication or republication requires consent of the Gallup Independent. Please send the Gallup Independent feedback on this website and the paper in general. Send questions or comments to gallpind@cia-g.com |
||